8 Thoughts on Being 8
For Little Man
1. I love you to infinity and beyond. And then some. No matter what.
2. It is my dream that you will remember the good times. There are lots.
3. Hold on tight. It goes fast (like Mamu used to tell me).
4. Your heart is a pure and loving one. Don’t be afraid to show it, but don’t give it away to those who will not treasure it.
5. You make me laugh. The best kind of laughs.
6. One day, you will be smarter and taller than me. And that actually makes me very happy.
7. You are so strong.
8. There are no limits other than those you place upon yourself. Don’t let anyone else’s belief about the world and its possibilities hold you back from accomplishing everything you desire.
Lastly, I still cannot believe I have an 8 year old child. I am sure I will say this every year as I often still feel like a 16 year old girl myself. Anyone who tells you different is either lying or extremely boring.
I am so proud of the boy you have become and I am infinitely more proud that I get to call you my son. I’m sorry if I embarrass you by pushing your hair out of your eyes or trying to hold your hand or hugging you, but I can’t tell you I’ll stop. Sometimes the urge to hold you overwhelms me and I begin to realize how fleeting this time together is. I don’t expect you to understand this now, but perhaps one day, you will. You fill my soul, son. Thank you for choosing me.
Love you forever. And then some,
*Note about the photo: I would love to give credit to the author of this poem or the photographer, but I have not been able to find them. Please contact me directly if you know this information.